Choosing an OS for the Dual athlon...

lex at cc.gatech.edu lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Aug 13 19:55:05 UTC 2004

> Debian is of course another option, though if you don't
> have direct internet access, I get the impression you'll be losing out
> by choosing such a communally oriented distro. Perhaps not.

Actually, I'd guess that most Debian users are plain old users that grab
packages and never give anything back.  You can perfectly well obtain
some Debian CD's and install everything from those and away you go.

I don't think there's anything particularly heavy about Debian compared
to other Linux distros.  You certainly don't have to install anything
like KDE or Gnome or OpenOffice if you don't want to.

The main possible nuisance that comes to mind is that they do reject a
lot of software licenses; not even open source ones are always
acceptible.  The first thing you'll have to do, for example, is of
course to add the site for the Squeak packages to your
/etc/apt/sources.list file!  :)

-Lex