A More Inclusive Community-Based Model for Squeak Development

Hannes Hirzel hirzel at spw.unizh.ch
Fri Aug 13 23:15:41 UTC 2004

Ned,

thank you for your comprehensive and excellent paper how you see the
current and future Squeak Development Process.

It is long for a mailing list contribution. But I think it pays off for
everyone interested in the future of Squeak to actually  _read_ it.

Let me try an attempt at summarizing it:

A. We have the following sub-communities
    * Education
    * Web services
    * Academic research
    * Multimedia authoring
    * Croquet
    * Application development
   (detailed descriptions and reasons are given)

B. 6..12 distributions should be regularily built (daily/weekly)
  (serving the needs of the sub-communities; people should
   actually "live" in the development images to produce more
   immediate feedback)

C. there is the new job - distribution maintainers.
  (get a base image, load packages, test and distribute -
   this may be automated, then it is the task
   is to set up this process)

D. A more comprehensive central web site should be set up.
  (prebuilt images in regular intervals, private workspaces)

E. communication should be facilitated in various ways
   * awareness that communication is two-ways
   * central bug database (off the shelf preferrably);
   * a combined search function for Squeak info on the various
    places:
    - the Squeak-dev and other email lists
    - Minnow swiki
    - the forums on Squeakland.org