Choosing an OS for the Dual athlon...

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Sat Aug 14 05:22:23 UTC 2004

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Alan Grimes wrote:

Umm...

> 1. The current video card is crap, I would like a Nvidia 5200,  ($70)

The card will be crap in Linux *and* Windows. And BeOS, OpenStep and
anything else you through at it no matter what. Sure, it'd be nice to
have a faster video card, but you don't need it in Windows any more than
you do in Linux.

> 2. You can't run Windows without Norton Systemworks. -- $90.

Can't comment here. Never used it and never needed it.

> 3. WordPerfect   $150

It would cost the same on Linux. Do they still sell WP for Linux? Anyway,
I'm guessing you'd use OpenOffice on Linux- then use it on Windows.
http://www.openoffice.org It's mighty swell. My girlfriend converter her
whole non-profit for which she works to it, all on Windows. Works the same
on Linux and Windows.

> 4. 'doze XP, Pro retail (Damn M$ for nickel and diming on SMP support.)
> $300

Like I said, go get a used copy of 2k. Why do you need XP?  You don't
*have* to use XP over 2000 any more than you *have* to use GNOME or KDE
instead of WindowMaker or IceWM.

> On top of that I'd probably want a C++ environment for VM work,   $400

That's why there's mingw/cygwin. I've done plenty of C/C++ compiling on
Windows without using VS.

Regards,
Aaron

--
"one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws"  :: m. l. king jr.