A More Inclusive Community-Based Model for Squeak Development

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Aug 15 00:28:46 UTC 2004

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 02:42:07PM -0700, Ned Konz wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> The attached HTML file is the result of some thought and discussion about
> what we can and should do with Squeak's development. It tries to avoid talking
> about technical solutions, focusing instead on communications, cooperation,
> and other human issues.
>
> Among its proposals are that we acknowledge the existence of different
> "distributions" (i.e. different images), and that these should all be
> maintained together (by different people, possibly) because they share so
> much and can benefit by being part of the same process.
>
> And it proposes to speed up the development process, and to acknowledge the
> two-way relationship between the maintainer of a piece of shared code and the
> projects that use that code.
>
> Please take a look at it and share your thoughts.

This is a thoughtful overview with constructive and well-considered
recommendations. Thank you this, Ned.

I'm sure that the document will go through a few updates as feedback
comes in, but I'd like to see it posted on the swiki as a statement
of direction.  Better yet, it could be edited a bit to become one
of the introductory artifacts in the opening NewChanges project of
Squeak (along with "A Word of Caution..." and the "ReadMe.txt").
It would a nice thing for new users to be able to read "Directions.txt"
when they open up Squeak for the first time and think to themselves
"what the %$@%$#@ is THIS all about!?!".

Dave