[META] open minded thinking [was:[Re: [ENH] SetInspector (23112)]]

Stephan Rudlof sr at evolgo.de
Sun Aug 15 18:09:57 UTC 2004

Anthony and all,

Anthony Hannan wrote:
> Hi again Andrew,
>
> Anthony Hannan <ajh18 at cornell.edu> wrote:
>
>>"Andrew P. Black" <black at cse.ogi.edu> wrote:
>>
>>>If I put the "normal" variables back into the Dictionary Inspector
>>>(in addition to the keys), would you then be happy to see the
>>>debugger inspectors change class?
>>
>>I am still inclined to only show what is relevant in the context. The context
>>is the code you are looking at. Your looking at the inside of an object (how
>
> it
>
>>is implemented) so you want to see the inside view, not the outside view. The
>>extra outside view (dictionary keys, for example) adds more clutter, and adds
>>more that can break or slowdown while in the debugger itself.
>

> I have changed my mind and now like your proposal.

I very appreciate people changing their mind publicly! Especially if
they are no newbies here.

This shows open minded thinking and the courage to make a statement with
the risk of being changed later. To be too conservative here (just
saying things being very sure) or to be too haughty to admit an 'error'
inhibits development.

Thanks
Stephan

--