Squeak locks up for no reason

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue Aug 17 13:52:08 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 17 August 2004 1:42 am, Marcin Tustin wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 10:46:52PM -0600, John Pfersich wrote:
> > Marcin Tustin wrote:
> > >    Twice today squeak has hung on me for no reason.
> > >When it did it earlier today it also started to consume
> > >rather a lot of system resources, hogging the processor.
> > >
> > >    When it did it just now, I was dragging a SystemWindow
> > >that I had populated with morphs myself. It had a single morph
> > >to hold the other submorphs, and two
> > >PluggableTextMorphWithModels inside that. The "holder" morph
> > >had a TableLayout.

>     Squeak 3.6, and the image filename is Squeak3.6-5429-full.image

There are some cases where the layout will recurse. I have fixed this problem
but apparently haven't remembered to post the fixes.

If you can manage to interrupt Squeak using an Alt-. or Cmd-. (on the Mac),
please send a stack trace (choose "mail to list" from the context menu).

My guess is you have run into the problem we've seen before. I reported this
in 3.6 and fixed it later.

My description from last year was:

-------
Bringing up a browser. Squeak hangs, eventually crashes because it's out
of memory.
Preferences for inboard scrollbars and hidden scrollbars are set.
The problem is that the scrollbar keeps getting alternately hidden and
shown, and there's a possible recursion:

PluggableTextMorph>>extent:
PluggableTextMorph>>resetExtent
PluggableTextMorph(ScrollPane)>>hideScrollBar
PluggableTextMorph(ScrollPane)>>hideOrShowScrollBar
PluggableTextMorph(ScrollPane)>>setScrollDeltas
PluggableTextMorph>>extent:
PluggableTextMorph>>resetExtent
PluggableTextMorph(ScrollPane)>>showScrollBar
PluggableTextMorph(ScrollPane)>>hideOrShowScrollBar
PluggableTextMorph(ScrollPane)>>setScrollDeltas
PluggableTextMorph>>extent:
PluggableTextMorph>>resetExtent
PluggableTextMorph(ScrollPane)>>showScrollBar
PluggableTextMorph(ScrollPane)>>hideOrShowScrollBar
PluggableTextMorph(ScrollPane)>>setScrollDeltas
PluggableTextMorph>>extent:

[ etc... ]

-------

A fix you should try would be to add this code to the top of
PluggableTextMorph>>extent:

 bounds extent = newExtent
  ifTrue: [^ self].

I'll try to dig up my fix changeset and post it too.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com