3.8 alpha status?

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Wed Aug 18 06:01:16 UTC 2004

On Tuesday, August 17, 2004, at 03:37 AM, stéphane ducasse wrote:

> Hi Doug and other
>
> What is the status of 3.8a harvesting? When the minor changes pending
> will be included?

As soon as the m17n changes go in, the rest of the minor pending
changes can go in soon afterward.  (Unfortunately, some of them may
need some merging work because the m17n changes are significant.)

At the moment I'm waiting to hear if the m17n changes are "ready" yet.

> Stef
>
> PS:  What are the new solutions for the process finally?

It looks like it will be one of the two proposals I mentioned.  I could
go with either one (there are tradeoffs to each), but more people seem
to prefer Proposal #1 (the two update streams), so I'll probably go
with that if there is no more discussion.  At least for a start; it's
not necessarily the "final" solution.

The proposed process changes don't have to be implemented immediately,
but IMHO we should do it during 3.8alpha, so that they are in place and
working before we go to 3.8beta. (and remember 3.8 is supposed to be a
shorter release)

BTW, a more urgent problem is the 3.7 "full" release.  We no longer
have a Full Image content maintainer, so progress has stalled on this.
If anyone has any interest in becoming the Full Image content
maintainer, or even just the tentative/interim Full maintainer, let me
know!

The immediate task with this is to get the "3.7 Full Assembler" in
shape so that it loads correctly into a 3.7-gamma image (there are a
couple of minor bugs), and to make a few cleanups such as leaving the
Welcome and Play With Me windows in there.  Also coordinate with
package owners for packages which have problems, or remove those
packages from the assembler.

If no one steps up to this I'll try to do a simple cleanup in the next
two days, and put out a gamma-full image.

- Doug