Lessons learnt from been an integrator

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Wed Aug 25 21:28:36 UTC 2004

Am 25.08.2004 um 18:58 schrieb Darius Clarke:

>> So overrides are evil. I guess that's why other systems do not
>> allow them. But their are *realy* powerful, and we want them.
>>
>> There are two interesting ways of dealing with that problem:
>

> This seems to cry out for NameSpaces to me.
> How am I wrong in that assumption?

You would need Namespaces as a startingpoint.

But namespaces in the traditional sense do not cover that at all.

They just define the meaning of globals (e.g. Classes). So in one
space, the name "A" refers to something different than "A" inother
space.

But what you want for overrides, is that the lookup (late-binding
a method to a selector) leads to different results regarding from
were the message is sent, even if the object (and thus the class)
is the same.

http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg/Research/Classboxes/

     Marcus