Lessons learnt from been an integrator

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Wed Aug 25 21:49:15 UTC 2004

On Aug 25, 2004, at 3:21 PM, Brad Fuller wrote:

> If you mean by replacing the default Browser with a completely tested,
> "stable" version of OmniBrowser, that would be great. But, as it is,
> the maturity level of OmniBrowser is listed as "Alpha - Usable by
> daredevils...."
> That scares me!

Hi Brad,

I agree with you on this point - the version on SqueakMap isn't ready
to be a standard package.

However, the core of OB is actually pretty stable. It's the more
advance features that are still shaky. Since people are interested in
pushing OB into broader use, I'm going to strip that stuff out and
produce a version that's considerably simpler and more stable.

I think a combination of simplicity, good automated test coverage and
broad testing by the community should be enough to ensure that OB is
solid before we retire the current implementation. Note also that this
would be done in the alpha phase, when a little instability is
acceptable.

Colin