Shrinking

Pavel Krivanek squeak1 at continentalbrno.cz
Wed Aug 25 13:47:24 UTC 2004

I have modified shrinking process for image 3.0. I have prepared a patch
which removes Morphic references from source codes.

The result is cca 1.2 MB large compact image with Squeak kernel and basic
MVC tools. It has NO OBSOLETE CLASSES!!!

Resulting image includes full source codes and class orgranization so it is
easy to use and it's prepared for next shrinking steps (abandonSources,
zapOrganization...).

Installation:
Open - MVC project - enter into it - open file list - fileIn file shrink.st
You will have to press 'yes' several times and enter your initials. Wait a
while (Squeak recompiles all classes)

Problems:
- This image doesn't contain hundreds of useful methods
- Some removed messages have still record in class organization
- This is quite old image, but we have well documented sequence of update
changes

Maybe it's not the right starting point for making fully updated small image
'cos the amount of updates is formidable. Though it's clear we need very
small reference image (maybe without Morphic) for making production images.

Pavel