Incorporating OmniBrowser (was Re: Lessons learnt from been an integrator)

Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Sat Aug 28 13:15:28 UTC 2004

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:20:12 +0200, Avi Bryant <avi at beta4.com> wrote:

> Thanks.  It would be useful to know which features you're missing the
> most.

Well, I started thinking about this, and the more I thought about it, the
more it seemed like I could get more or less what I wanted with the
existing features. Hierarchical packages are nice, but having required
packages gets you almost the same thing, if you set it up right.

I do find the user interface a little clunky. I prefer a
repository-centered view, rather than a "package-in-image" centered view.
But you can't save the working version of a package to a repository from
the repository window. Which sort of makes sense, when you think about it,
but I guess I'm still to tied to a central-repository way of thinking...

Okay, so what I find clunky about the main window UI is the fact that I
select the package, and then select the repository, and then hit 'Save'.

If I was designing it from scratch, there would only be packages in the
main window. When you want to save a package, you select the package, hit
save, and then it prompts you for the repository from the list it knows
about, which also includes options to build a new one or open a different
one not in the list. Or maybe the little version comment window that opens
up could also indicate the "Default" repository, and have a button that
would allow you to change it. Or something like that.

Anyways, I guess I should wait until I have some more experience using
Monticello before I start complaining too loudly about it :-)

Thanks for a great addition to the Squeak world...

Later,
Jon