Condense Changes for 3.7 Full?

Lantz Rowland LantzR at comcast.net
Sun Aug 29 08:19:57 UTC 2004

on 08/27/2004 05:29 pm, Doug Way at dway at mailcan.com wrote:
> Marcus & I were just discussing whether we should do a "Smalltalk
> condenseChanges" for the 3.7 Full release.

> Normally, we don't do it for point releases (3.4, 3.5, 3.6).
>   [snip ]
> But it makes the .changes file a lot smaller (11MB instead of 20MB).

It makes the uncompressed file a lot smaller, but the .changes file
compresses to a fifth of that.

> For the reasons I state below, I think it might be reasonable to
> condenseChanges on the Full image to make it a more reasonable download
> size.  But leave the Basic image alone.

>>on 08/27/2004 11:29 pm, Doug Way at dway at mailcan.com wrote:
>>> On the other hand, maybe it's okay for the Full image to have
>>> condensed changes, since active development on the image itself
>>> really just happens in Basic, not Full.

Perhaps, but active development takes place with the Full Squeak Multimedia
Distribution and that is our definitive reference not the smaller subset.

> Thoughts?

I think it is a bad idea to redefine the concept of what the Full
distribution contains.

As to the concept of providing a Squeak3.7g2FullCondensed.zip I do not
believe it has any significant advantage to the clients you state you are
trying to aid. It is not the difference in time to transfer 10M instead of
12M that helps someone with a slow connection. If you really want to help
them (which I do not think is needed), give them the option to transfer
twelve separate 1M documents.

Since you've already published Squeak3.7g2Full.zip with the changes
condensed and removed Squeak3.7g1Full.zip that had all the ChangeSets, I'd
prefer that you replaced Squeak3.7g2Full.zip with a complete one.

Thanks,
Lantz

--
  Lantz Rowland <LantzR at comcast.net>