Monticello (was re: Incorporating OmniBrowser)

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Sun Aug 29 10:12:43 UTC 2004

On Aug 28, 2004, at 3:15 PM, Jon Hylands wrote:

> If I was designing it from scratch, there would only be packages in the
> main window. When you want to save a package, you select the package,
> hit
> save, and then it prompts you for the repository from the list it knows
> about, which also includes options to build a new one or open a
> different
> one not in the list. Or maybe the little version comment window that
> opens
> up could also indicate the "Default" repository, and have a button that
> would allow you to change it. Or something like that.

Yes, that would work.  I guess the reason it's the way it is now is
that I find myself alternating between a package-central view (when I'm
committing) and a repository-central view (when loading/merging the
work of others), and so having both lists easily accessible is nice.
But it may be that having them in separate windows, each streamlined
for their respective tasks, would be better than the combined UI we
have now.  UI work isn't high on my personal priority list, and I know
Colin's busy with OmniBrowser right now, but if anyone else wants to
take a crack at this...

> Anyways, I guess I should wait until I have some more experience using
> Monticello before I start complaining too loudly about it :-)

Nah.  Complain loudly and complain often, by all means.

Avi