[Q] Why Monticello don't keep names of packages

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Tue Aug 31 10:36:22 UTC 2004

On Aug 31, 2004, at 11:35 AM, Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> Maybe this is silly question for Avi what sure have strong reasons.
> But I unhappy about losing names of packages having Monticello as
> official
> tool in image.
> Before 3.7 full, I can load .mcz using SqueakMap or from files stored
> on my
> disk using FileList.
> Always I could have package name what I could easily locate using
> normal
> Change Browser.
> Now , instead of having CrazyThing.3 , I have MC9 and is more
> difficult when
> you work a while remember or locating where CrazyThing.3 are.

There's no "strong reason" for this, it's just that our assumption was
that for packages managed with Monticello, there was no reason to look
at the individual changesets (personally, I find that I rarely if ever
open a Change Browser at all).  So although we needed to pick some name
for the changesets it creates, it didn't seem to matter much what it
was.

However, clearly some other people have work habits that do involve
combining Monticello with the Change Browser, and for them better names
would be preferable.  As it happens, I have a patch from Ned that fixes
exactly this issue, and which will be included in a minor update to
Monticello I'll release later today.  So your timing on this question
is pretty good.

I would be curious to know, however, what it is you're looking at
CrazyThing.3 to find out, and whether it's something that could be
supported directly through the Monticello UI.

Avi