Bug with SqueakMap

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Tue Aug 31 13:30:08 UTC 2004

Damien Cassou <damien.cassou at laposte.net> wrote:
> goran.krampe at bluefish.se a écrit :
> > Hi!
> >
> > Don't have time to write much, but this is a known problem with Linux
> > 2.6.
> > Try starting the VM with "-memory 40m".
> >
> > This has been discussed on the list, check the archives. It has nothing
> > to do with SM, it is a bug with the imagesegment loading.
> >
> > regards, Göran
> >

> I have found a message that tells it was the "-mmap" option to use and
> not the "-memory" one. I have tried and it seems to work. But it is just
> a workaround, not a solution I think.

The -memory switch was (I think) only a "increases probability of
success" kinda thing.
-mmap I am not sure about but obviously it has to do with the same
issue.

The problem is in general that Squeak get's loaded in a too high adress
space and this triggers a bug in the VM - a memory pointer that is
declared as a signed int.

So yes, these are all workarounds - the solution is to fix the VM bug.
Now, since the VM is being heavily rewritten for 64 bits this may
already have been fixed in that work.

regards, Göran

PS. It has also been observed under OpenBSD and some other OSes that
also loads Squeak high under some circumstances.