Mac OSX display depth colour oddness

Peace Jerome peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 1 05:40:51 UTC 2004

Mon Nov 29 21:15:38 CET 2004

John wrote:

>So what's the problem with 3.7.5bx?

My experience is that the problem I've seen is in all
vms I've used and 3.7.5b gives similar results to
3.7.4b.

>Also I'm not sure what you mean by your comment that
earlier squeaks
(image:? VM?) wouldn't recognize a 32bit screen depth?

That was an old recollection and impression I had from
my early experiences with squeak. I just went back and
tried some old vms with an old image and it did not
seem to be true at least with 3.2.8b. Maybe I was
mistaken.

I also tried to answer your questions by trying to
find a way to pin things down.

With vm 3.7.5b classic and  image 3.9a-6461 I did the
following:

in a fresh project.
Grab a ruler from objects.
Made it 512 at 32 with grow handle
With color properties
set a ramp white-->black in direction 512 at 0.

Then I played with combinations of  squeak screen
depth from the appearance menu and hardware screen
depth. from the apple control panel (actual the
retractable tab version but you get the idea.)

When the squeak screen depth is set to 32 and the
apple is set to thousands of colors the ruler showed
32 steps of gray.
When the squeak screen depth was reduced to 16 the
ramp appeared smooth no steps.
When the squeak screen depth was put back to 32 and
the apple set to millions of colors the ramp looked
smooth.

When the screen depth now was reduced to 16 colors the
ramp looked smooth.

I did grab patches on the various combinations and
noticed some interesting things happened when I fooled
around with squeak and apple screen depths.  But there
were some problems with reproducibility and analysis
of the results.

The obvious work around is to have the screen depth
and hardware depth match as often as possible.

While I believe there is a findable bug in all this
(though maybe not in the vm) I don't think its a good
thing for me to give a high priority to. If I stumble
over something that illuminates it further I may get
back to it. If not, not.

If I find something solid I'll post it on mantis.

Thanks for your response.

Yours in service --Jerome Peace