When can we have SqueakMpa package version aware...

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Wed Dec 1 09:41:04 UTC 2004

Am 30.11.2004 um 20:29 schrieb goran.krampe at bluefish.se:

> Hi!
>
> =?ISO-8859-1?Q?st=E9phane_ducasse?= <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
>> Hi goran
>>
>> 	We would like to be able to manage the code of some packages
>> 	with squeakMap but without having to create one package for each
>> version
>> 	(look at RB for example). Have you plans to have that?
>
> You mean one for each *Squeak* version? Well, I am not familiar with RB
> in this case - is it different for 3.7, 3.8 and 3.9? I mean, how does
> the RB "version tree" look?

It forked after "for 3.6". As the RB-Nodes are in 3.9, but not in 3.7.
And the 3.8
has the Browser registration, which is not in 3.7. Thus there are 3
versions, each
of them is updated regularly. (3.7 updates will stop as soon as 3.8
image is final)

> You know - the current SMPackage has an OrderedCollection of
> SMPackageReleases and each release knows its ancestor simply by their
> place in the collection. I intend to add a previousRelease instvar so
> that they can form a tree with branches.
>
> Even though, I think you can have one RB package today too. Though
> crude, the SMLoader will try to find the newest published release for
> your Squeak version.

I tried that a couple of weeks ago, did not work: SMLoader installed a
version
tagged to be for 3.8 in 3.7m but I will try again. But this seems to be
not that
simple to maintain, even if it works.

    Marcus