Accessing a particular object in GOODS causes "Space is low" warning

Yar Hwee Boon hboon at motionobj.com
Thu Dec 2 04:40:30 UTC 2004

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 20:28:06 -0800, John M McIntosh
<johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> wrote:

> Well if it's a current mac/windows/linux VM then your image has
> attempted to allocate all  512MB of memory on mac, or I believe 1GB on
> windows and linux.
> These limits are alterable, either on the command line, or in a plist.
> Operating system limits might dictate the upper limits here if the OS
> won't reach those values
> or won't lie about those limits. What happens is that when memory
> actually runs low it signals the low space semaphore which triggers the
> "Space is low" warning.
>
> If you do a help space left what does it say. Also do a help vm
> statistics. and report the results.

Space left:

   4,183,872 bytes (internal)
101,369,664 bytes (physical)
659,093,312 bytes (total)

VM Stats:

uptime			13h57m57s
memory			20,184,112 bytes
	old			15,989,512 bytes (79.2%)
	young		353,644 bytes (1.8%)
	used		16,343,156 bytes (81.0%)
	free		3,840,956 bytes (19.0%)
GCs				13,086 (3842ms between GCs)
	full			15 totalling 10,230ms (0.0% uptime), avg 682.0ms
	incr		13071 totalling 26,412ms (0.0% uptime), avg 2.0ms
	tenures		135 (avg 96 GCs/tenure)
Since last view	3,043 (-102162ms between GCs)
	uptime		-310878.9s
	full			5 totalling 5,014ms (0.0% uptime), avg 1003.0ms
	incr		3038 totalling 4,147ms (0.0% uptime), avg 1.0ms
	tenures		35 (avg 86 GCs/tenure)

> Either you have run out of memory and get this message, rare and usually
> quickly causes a lockup, or
> you have attempted to pass some bogus very large value to new: which
> cannot be satisfiied. Hitting debug and
> looking at the stack might tell you why and where you for example need
> 500MB of memory?

Ahh.. its trying to create an array for size 3452816845. Thanks. I guess I
managed to corrupt that particular object (stored in GOODS) when I did a
#become:. Thanks alot.

--
Regards
HweeBoon