Adding loop primitives/optimizations (was Making Set/Dictionaryetc. loops more robust)

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Dec 2 06:44:03 UTC 2004

On Dec 1, 2004, at 9:47 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:

>   John,
>
>> the bottom line since it took 10 ms to get us to where we could do the
>> math.
>
>   This "10ms" number doesn't agree with my experiences.  On my
> computer,

One should never pull numbers from hats, unless one is doing magic
tricks.

The machine I was testing on was way slower, and the algorithm in
question had lots more bytecodes that the
before getting to the vector math, thus that overhead outweighed the
actual performance improvements in the array primitive.
I believe we've also made the plugin call path more optimal, we'd
wander off and look at the millisecond clock twice for each call.

That said, your usage should require looking back at the issue.

Have you tried using Apple's vector libraries? They resolve to Altivec
or something depending on the platform they run on,.
Over the weekend I'll take a peek and generate some uptodate numbers
based on some of your simple examples here.

http://developer.apple.com/hardware/ve/vector_libraries.html

===