Perhaps naive question about the colon.

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Thu Dec 2 11:01:55 UTC 2004

This may be a naive question, but it should at least have a simple answer,
unlike a lot of the stuff flying around here.<s>

Is the colon as a signal for a parameter expected necessary? I know it's
spec'ed, and I can see where in the browser, it's what separates the
parameters (buildButton:target:label:selector). But from a strict parsing
standpoint, do the colons tell you anything you couldn't get from the
context?

Like:

caveman light: fire with: flintAndTinder usingForFuel: twigsAndStraw.

versus:

caveman light fire with flintAndTinder usingForFuel twigsAndStraw.

Forgive me if this is dense, as well as naive.