SqueakSource: Restarted, but with Problems

Adrian Lienhard alienhard at netstyle.ch
Thu Dec 2 21:17:47 UTC 2004

>> I'm curious if something else happened, because I never experience
>> troubles with loss of meta data on my server and I reboot my machine
>> without proper squeak shutdown weekly. Thoughts?
>>

> Normally that data does get saved, too. But somehow this didn't happen.

jep, we just save the data in ref streams on each change. But there was
a "primitive has failed" exception from UnixFileDirectory... so
something went wrong after the 28th...

> The admins moved the home-dirs to a bigger disc.
>
> I think that it was not shut down and then the image/changes got
> copied, then,
> after some time, they mounted the copy instead if the original volume.
> So the running
> Squeak did get a different changes file than it thought it had. Could
> that explain it?

hm. Actually SqueakSource was not running anymore after their change on
Saturday. Then Lukas restarted it and it seemed to work. At least
committing worked.

When I looked at the image today, it was still running but didn't react
anymore. And there were some open "Syntax Error" windows which I don't
understand. Can somebody explain to me how there can be syntax errors
during normal use? I mean, there was no code compiled... Actually I
have seen those syntax errors recently on another server. Both are 3.7
images. I've put a screen shot of those errors at:
http://www.adrian-lienhard.ch/files/syntaxerrors.pdf, though I don't
know if this helps much. Note also, the Transcript showing all those
undeclared bits of code.

Anybody an idea what went wrong here?

Adrian