3.8 UI performance drop?

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Thu Dec 2 22:39:12 UTC 2004

On Thursday 02 December 2004 2:18 pm, Jon Hylands wrote:
> I had major problems of this sort with Shout performance, so I stopped
> using it. I really like Shout, but it makes Squeak text editing so slow as
> to be almost painful.

I'd recommend doing things like syntax coloring in the background, and
committing the changes after a bit of a delay in typing.

Another possible improvement is to only update the portion of the text window
that is actually *changed* by typing, rather than redrawing the whole text
for every keystroke (I'm not sure whether Shout already does this).

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com/squeak/