3.8 UI performance drop?

Lyndon Tremblay humasect at shaw.ca
Fri Dec 3 02:28:55 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Yoshiki Ohshima" <Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org>
To: "The general-purpose Squeak developers list"
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 5:40 PM
Subject: Re: 3.8 UI performance drop?

>   Hello,
>
> At Thu, 2 Dec 2004 14:39:12 -0800,
> Ned Konz wrote:
> >
> > On Thursday 02 December 2004 2:18 pm, Jon Hylands wrote:
> > > I had major problems of this sort with Shout performance, so I stopped
> > > using it. I really like Shout, but it makes Squeak text editing so
slow as
> > > to be almost painful.
> >
> > I'd recommend doing things like syntax coloring in the background, and
> > committing the changes after a bit of a delay in typing.
> >
> > Another possible improvement is to only update the portion of the text
window
> > that is actually *changed* by typing, rather than redrawing the whole
text
> > for every keystroke (I'm not sure whether Shout already does this).
>
>   I don't know about Jon's setting, but in general, the TTCFont is
> much slower than StrikeFonts when the color change is involved.  And
> touches more and more memory especially in larger fonts.
>
>   The bar, rounded corner, etc. shouldn't be too much trouble compared
> with the text rendering.
>
>   Just a random thought,
>
> -- Yoshiki

You are probably right. Though, it would be probably generally comforting to
supply TTCFont that is similar to the size of the previous default (and /as/
the default). Currently it is quite large =) Browsers need sizing to
accomadate. Ick, problems with scrollers... my mind is all over the place
with Squeak, I see.

_lyndon