3.8 UI performance drop?

Lyndon Tremblay humasect at shaw.ca
Fri Dec 3 02:41:06 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Yoshiki Ohshima" <Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org>
To: "The general-purpose Squeak developers list"
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 6:21 PM
Subject: Re: 3.8 UI performance drop?

>   Hello,
>
> > Hmm, I thought these new fonts/m17n were initially presented in 3.8
> > patches.
>
>   Yes.
>
> > All of Squeak's present system fonts have absolutely no characters for
> > non-ASCII?
>
>   No.  They have some of those right half of Latin-1 chars.  When the
> old New York font was the default, I bit-editted the original font
> (oops) and the m17n packages for 2.4(c), 2.8 and 3.2 all had all
> Latin-1 chars for New York.

Ah, I see, yes.

>   However, I didn't (or nobody) get around to do the similar thing for
> AccuFonts yet.  As a result, today only part of the latin-1 is
> covered.  Sorry for people from Icelandish^^;
>
> > All languages and encodings I've tried always show as Win16-style
> > corruption; blocks and squigglies as displayed binary.
>
>   What languages and encoding?

I don't recall each file i've processed, but notably UTF-8 (German as well
as Japanese), Shift-JIS, EUC-JP.

> > Perhaps I can at least copy NihongoSqueak's set over to where I can
> > use it.
>
>   They don't have too many code-points covered either.  Only for
> Japanese and enough to give the illusion that it can support JIS X
> 0208 area with people familiar glyphs.

Ah, is this the set which contains special characters, such as ?, ?, ??

> > It also supports IME through a plugin (ImmXx) for Windows;
>
>   Minor note; this plugin is completely optional.  Its sole role is to
> move the composition window at Squeak's cursor.  And we have the
> similar mechanism for X11.

Ohh, I see. Like Emacs for windows which doesn't move this composition
window (it stays top left), so it can be somewhat platform-independant?
(Code conversion for character input only seems to be required)

> >  does the platform-dependance prevent inclusion to base Squeak?
>
>   What does it mean?

=) You've answered it above, I think.

> > I'd love to have Japanese language
> > support, NihongoSqueak(6a) does this /very/ nicely. I should look around
> > see if anyone is still working on this - for Squeak itself (3.8-3.9) or
the
> > merge of both.
>
>   We are.  Especially, Abe-san and Yamamiya-san, and me (a bit), are
> planning to make a rock solid version of Squeakland (3.8) based image
> catered for Japanese users.  Same code base, a little configuration
> difference and pre-loaded Japanese fonts.  The new school year in
> Japan begins in April, so that is one of our semi-hard deadline.

Ohh! Hmm, is there a possibility of including what is catered in
NihongoSqueak into another image? Perhaps just bringing the fonts containing
Japanese characters is all that is required, I haven't looked at the moment.

>   Along this course, I hope to add other language support.
>
>   Speaking of '_' and '<-', I have my theory...
>
> -- Yoshiki

oh?

-Lyndon