[BUG][FIX]numbers in scientific notation with capital E are nothandled correctly (not good)

lex at cc.gatech.edu lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Dec 3 13:01:11 UTC 2004

This would be a great thing to stick into a comment in Float
somewhere...  Any takers? -Lex

"Baveco, Hans" <Hans.Baveco at wur.nl> wrote:
> OK, that's clear. It felt already too goo to be true... (I never think hexadecimal). Funny how much knowledge and experience there is behind many methods in basic squeak/smalltalk. A pity though that so little is documented in/near the source :-(.

Wrt my problem of reading the uppercase exponent: the method Number>>readRemainderOf:from:base:withSign:

is executed after having read the 'front' part of the number. Do we not know already whether the number is a decimal number or not? In other words, would it be possible to limit this check (peekChar = $E) to decimal numbers only?

I might overlook complications again, though.. but it is just not an attractive option, having to scan every possible input file for occurrences of $E.