Implentation of Objects

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Sat Dec 4 11:53:13 UTC 2004

Am 03.12.2004 um 01:48 schrieb Ryan Zerby:

> I've read those already before I started asking questions :) Those
> books seem to be about using smalltalk (squeak).. I want a book on how
> I would go about implementing the VM.  The nitty gritty of memory
> management with objects, and how to implement inheritance, if I were
> writing in C or assembly (say).  How to implement the interpreter
> itself.

It would be nice to have such a book... e.g. a textbook in the style
of Appel's "Modern Compiler Implementation in Java", but for modern
VM technology. As much as I know, there is no such book.

I just stumbled across a course that Lars Bak gave in 2002:

   Design and Implementation of Object-Oriented Virtual Machines
   http://www.daimi.au.dk/~ups/OOVM/

  Marcus