modifier duplicating/swapping (was Re: "A Word of Caution" to all newcomers)

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Sat Dec 4 17:27:03 UTC 2004

On Dec 4, 2004, at 11:34 AM, Ned Konz wrote:

> On Saturday 04 December 2004 4:59 am, Jon Hylands wrote:
>> I think these are the only ones that makes sense, at least for me. I
>> like
>> dupMain, and use that, because to a certain extent I've gotten used
>> to it,
>> and I use control and alt interchangeably for cut/copy/paste.
>
> This is the setting I find myself using the most too.

I am sensing a groundswell of support for dupMain. :)

dupMain is already implemented as the duplicateControlAndAltKeys
preference.  I kind of assumed this pref was actually losing the
original 8 "Upper-case command keys" (as the help/command-key help
describes them).  Such as cmd-V which displays author initials.  But it
looks like these are actually already available with the ctrl-shift
modifier.  So, ctrl-shift-v works right now to paste author initials.
(At least it works on Mac OS X, can anyone confirm for Linux &
Windows?)

I think the documentation issue with dupMain is not at all bad...
beginner tutorials should not be referencing these more obscure
(shifted) key commands anyway, they should stick to the basics such as
cmd-d for do-it, etc.  About the only documentation that would need to
be adjusted is the aforementioned Command Key Help window (from the
help menu).

So, I'm liking dupMain more than swapMain now, too.  And it scored high
on Lex's extremely scientific grading scale. ;)  Plus it already
exists, all we'd have to do is turn on the duplicateControlAndAltKeys
pref by default, and perhaps adjust the Command Key Help a bit.

- Doug