[Bug] Setting copy/paste-key preference under Windows does not work

Hannes Hirzel hirzel at spw.unizh.ch
Sat Dec 4 22:32:08 UTC 2004

Hi

In the thread   - "A Word of Caution" to all newcomers - Andreas Raab
suggested to set the preferences under Windows by default so that the
copy/paste keyboard shortcuts work the way people expect them to be.

ctrl c = copy
and
ctrl v = paste

I tried to change the automatic preference settings accordingly but it
didn't work.

Taking a fresh 3.8g-6493 image (of today!)  I want the preference
#swapControlAndAltKeys to be set to true, so I change the method
SmalltalkImage>>setPlatformPreferences

I save, quit and restart the image.
The preference is not set.

I filed this as a bug report at http://bugs.impara.de/

Any suggestions for fixing this? Please answer to the list or just add a
note or a proposal for a fix to the bug report.

Thank you!

Hannes

SmalltalkImage>>setPlatformPreferences
setPlatformPreferences
    "Set some platform specific preferences on system startup"
    | platform specs |
    Preferences automaticPlatformSettings ifFalse:[^self].
    platform _ self platformName.
    specs _ #(
                    (soundStopWhenDone false)
                    (soundQuickStart false)
            ).
    platform = 'Win32' ifTrue:[
        specs _ #(
                    (soundStopWhenDone true)
                    (soundQuickStart false)
                    (swapControlAndAltKeys true)   "<<== added line
<<=========="

"which has currently no effect"
                )].
    platform = 'Mac OS' ifTrue:[
        specs _ #(
                    (soundStopWhenDone false)
                    (soundQuickStart true)
                )].
    specs do:[:tuple|
        Preferences setPreference: tuple first toValue: (tuple last ==
#true).
    ].