HTML documentation generator and cross reference

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Sun Dec 5 03:21:11 UTC 2004

On Dec 4, 2004, at 8:42 PM, Aaron Gray wrote:

> Is there a HTML documentation generator for Squeak that cross
> references squeak method 'words' - variables and methods, or is
> determining the class of a 'word' too undecidable to provide a proper
> cross reference, I suppose you could have a popup or sub window that
> offers all choices, this would be a good option on Squeaks browser
> proper.

You'll probably want to check out Dandelion, which generates HTML docs
from Squeak code, and also outputs other formats.  The cross
referencing is limited, though.  It's on SqueakMap, and also has a home
page at:

http://www.mars.dti.ne.jp/~umejava/smalltalk/stClasses/dandelion/

Ah, it sounds like you're looking for a type inferencer too, something
which tries to guess the class of a variable or parameter.  Look at
Chuck on SqueakMap, which is pretty heavy-duty.

My Whisker Browser (also on SqueakMap) has a simplistic "type
collector" rather than inferencer built in, which guesses types just
for instance variables, based on existing instances in the image.

> I found the STP12 Goodies :-
>
>         http://www.create.ucsb.edu/squeak/STP12.html
>
> This says it has a HTML doc generator, but this looks out of date ...

Mm, yes, that's a bit old... the major items from the STP12 Goodies
package (TimeProfileBrowser and PackageBrowser) were incorporated into
the Squeak base several years ago.

- Doug