Underscores (was: Re: 3.8 UI performance drop?)

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Sun Dec 5 05:26:02 UTC 2004

  Hello,

> >   Speaking of '_' and '<-', I have my theory...
>
> My theory is attached ... This makes underscores display as such, and
> provides methods to semi-automatically fix the source code.

  My theory is:

  * use the proper glyphs for the ASCII chars (Your change does it.)
    - for a while, an underscore also serves as the assignment
      operator, but at one point we should make it an ordinally
      letter.

  * utilize the leftarrow and uparrow from the Unicode.
    - When the user types $: and then $=, the editor converts it to a leftarrow.
       - if you don't want them converted type $:, space, $= and remove
         the space.
    - When the user types $^, the editor converts it to an uparrow.
       - with some other combination, the user will get $^.
    - They are filed out as UTF-8.
    - If the user doesn't like UTF-8, we can provide an option to do
      it in ASCII (or MacRoman).
    - Filing in them preserve the chars in the file out in general.
      They don't generally auto-convert the ASCII representation to Uncode.
    - ...

-- Yoshiki