HTML documentation generator and cross reference

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Sun Dec 5 07:50:56 UTC 2004

  Aaron,

  I was such a text editor guy when I started using Squeak, and still
am when I do things other than Squeak (Some Squeak work, I do use my
Meadow (Emacs), I should add).  So I think I understand.  (I was so
obsessed by the idea of not leaving my hands from the home position,
the enter key was mapped to a Right-Control-key.)  Grep, make,
compile, tag jump, directory and file manipulation, etc., etc. are all
done by keyboard and I like that kind of fluency, too.

  (The first VM port I did was when I even didn't know the fact that
Squeak VM code was generated from Squeak...)

  But, a few hours lesson on Squeak development tools should pay off a
lot.  Getting the cross-reference on a live system and hands on to it
is different from reading code.

  In the other words, the generated HTML or text-based "source" is not
source code, rather generated target code.  To learn something, put
yourself in the form and context in which the author wrote it.  It is
documented objects, in a sense.

  Again, just select any "word" in the code, and try (all) the menu
items in the right-click context menu.  Especially, in 'more...' menu,
'browse it (b)' through 'method strings with it (E)' are the important
ones.

  Learn how to use inspectors, and send messages to the inspected
object.  If you learn about how to use Squeak's explorer, you can
traverse the parse tree of method and check each node, etc.  This live
experiment is the best way to "get the larger picture", I think.

  Please spend a few hours, and I hope you see the point,

  Just my 2 cents,

-- Yoshiki