Underscores (was: Re: 3.8 UI performance drop?)

Martin Wirblat sql.mawi at t-link.de
Sun Dec 5 08:29:39 UTC 2004

Yoshiki Ohshima <Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org> wrote on 05.12.2004 06:26:02:
>  * utilize the leftarrow and uparrow from the Unicode.
>    - When the user types $: and then $=, the editor converts it to a
>    leftarrow.
>       - if you don't want them converted type $:, space, $= and remove
>         the space.
>    - When the user types $^, the editor converts it to an uparrow.
>       - with some other combination, the user will get $^.

This part of your "theory" is highly questionable, because this would give us
an editor which is unusable for general purposes. Such irritating user-
overriding reminds me of Word. Furthermore there are programmers who are using
:= and ^ instead of leftarrow and uparrow. So my suggestion would be to do it
the other way round and provide a special key combination for the non-ascii
chars. With special key combination I mean something which starts with a
modifier key or a function key in order to not getting in the way of normal
typing.

regards
Martin