modifier duplicating/swapping (was Re: "A Word of Caution" to all newcomers)

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Sun Dec 5 16:26:35 UTC 2004

On Dec 5, 2004, at 8:44 AM, lex at cc.gatech.edu wrote:

> I started to redo my analysis with Doug's comments, but since dupMain
> seems fairly popular I'll skimp out on finishing it unless someone
> speaks up.  (So, speak up quickly if you prefer one of the swap*
> variants!!)

I'm convinced that the dup* options are better than the swap* options
at this point.

> I still like dupAll better, because of the documentation issue.

I was about to say that I'm basically neutral on dupMain (duplicating
just the magic 8 keys) versus dupAll, but upon further reflection I
have to admit that dupAll is probably slightly better.  With dupMain
you end up with a hybrid mix of key mappings, which makes documentation
more complicated, but even the actual usage becomes a bit more
complicated too.  With dupAll, there is the single simple rule that you
always use Shift to use the "upper-case" key commands.  (They appear as
upper-case in the menus and in the Command Key Help, e.g. "explore it"
is "I".)  And using Shift for upper-case commands makes a lot of sense.
:)

(I was also originally thinking that I didn't want to mess with the
only three shift-commands that I ever use, "I" for explore, and "L" and
"R" for shifting text left and right.  But oddly enough I now realize
that I always type alt-shift for these commands right now anyway, not
ctrl. :) )

I would predict that anyone annoyed by the dupAll preference would be
equally annoyed by the dupMain preference anyway, and in either case
they can simply turn off the preference if they'd like to use ctrl for
the upper-case commands.

So, whaddaya say we just try dupAll in 3.9alpha?  Any objectors?  I
will create a preference for this which is turned on by default, and
then we can phase out the other swap/dup preferences later, since they
will be pretty much useless.

(And while I'm at, I'll create a separate "keyboard" group of prefs to
split those out from the "general" prefs group, which is getting way
too big.)

- Doug