[ANN] OmniBrowser beta

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Mon Dec 6 03:54:42 UTC 2004

Hi folks,

I've just posted the first beta-level version of OmniBrowser to
SqueakMap. This release is essentially feature complete, and I'll be
shifting my focus to improving stability and performance. (Of course,
if we discover that important functionality is still missing, I'll work
on that too. :-)

The major changes since alpha 5:

Command keys in the text pane now work, and use OB for senders,
implementors etc.

The chasing browsers have been combined with the regular list browsers
for senders and implementors. Now when a senders browser comes up, it
just has a regular list of senders, and a "chase" button for cases
where we want to follow the sender chain.

Color! All browsers are now the same color as their existing
equivalents, no more dull grey windows. The buttons are a bit different
though, so you can still tell them apart from the regular browsers.

The internal structure of the browsers have been refactored to reduce
the dependency on Morphic. This opens the door to future versions
supporting MVC, Tweak, wxSqueak etc.

Lots of little cosmetic and usability fixes. Method headers are now
bold, the thick red line appears when a method that is being edited is
changed elsewhere, it's easier to distinguish between enabled and
disabled buttons, button labels are sharper, and more keystroke short
cuts are supported.

OmniBrowser can now be configured as the default system browser.

Colin