Smalltalk language limitation - <shift><insert> hiddden character bug

Aaron Gray angray at beeb.net
Mon Dec 6 11:56:22 UTC 2004

>> Its working now, do not know why, but I have tried it again
>> for a new class
>> and it works fine so I do not know what I was doing wrong to
>> get the message
>> "Argument name expected ->" before the method name.
>
>You may not be doing the following at all but maybe I can save you some
>hair loss:
>
>One thing that trips me up fairly regularly is I reflexively paste code
>with <shift><del>. I realise that I didn't paste the code, and
>hit <alt>v to actually paste the code. Then when I try save the code, I get
>those lovely messages you get (or "Nothing more
>expected" or whatever). This happens because the <shift><del> puts an
>invisible (or zero width) character in the code pane,
>which the Compiler doesn't appreciate. I lost quite a bit of hair before I
>realised not to do that!

Thats the one, nasty, right, thanks for that, I will endevour not to do

<shift><insert> is as you say inserting a hidden character.

Thanks, has this been reported ?

Aaron

Aaron

whom they are addressed. Any views or opinions expressed
are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent
RNID policy.
If you are not the intended recipient you are advised that any
use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this
email is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this email in error please notify the RNID
Helpdesk by telephone on: +44 (0) 207 296 8282.
The Royal National Institute for Deaf People
Registered Office 19*23 Featherstone Street
London EC1Y 8SL No. 454169 (England)
Registered Charity No. 207720