Startup Splash Screen

Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Mon Dec 6 14:34:26 UTC 2004

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 08:03:52 -0500, Thomas A Petersen <tpeterse at csc.com>
wrote:

> I have found on the Win32 VMs for the past few generations that all you
> have to do is to provide a path, not an image name and it really speeds up
> Squeak startup.  I usually have sevferal images in my Squeak directory so I
> have to choose the one I need (Drawings, Netmodel, Scratch, etc).
> Providing a path on the command line in the shortcut makes the file chooser
> come up within a couple of seconds.  Failing to do so makes you wait for
> five to ten seconds depending on your CPU and network activity.  This same
> trick seems to hold for the Croquet VM as well.

If you stick the latest Squeak VM somewhere, like say "Program
Files\Squeak", and make "Squeak.exe" be the registered application for
".image" files, you can just double-click on an image to start it up.

That way, the sources file (which is large) only has to be in the Squeak
directory where the VM is, instead of repeated in each image directory.

I have my system set up this way, and it is much simpler (and faster) than
having a VM in each image directory.

Later,
Jon