Smalltalk language limitation - invalid <shift><Insert> character bug.

Aaron Gray angray at beeb.net
Mon Dec 6 17:24:04 UTC 2004

>> > It would be easier to understand what is going on, if these nonsense
>> > characters were to show up as something visible.  I like what some
>> > Windows editors do, where they insert a little square.  But any visible
>> > glyph is better than 1 pixel of empty space.
>
> "Aaron Gray" <angray at beeb.net> wrote:
>> Better that it does not occur at all, it invades textual integerity.
>
> Yes, it would be better to prevent it when possible.  Pressing random
> keys should not really insert nonsense characters.

If it serves no funaction then it should not be there; in my book.

> Still, you can't stop all such nonsense text.  Suppose someone opens a
> file from the file list tool.  What should Squeak do, if the file has
> non-textual characters in it?  It seems that the Squeak text editor
> needs to handle this somehow.

This is another thing entirely, unrelated to key presses and functionality.

Control characters that serve no purpose and are obsolete maybe should
either be ignored, filtered out, or flagged.

A good text editor should have a mode or option to allow showing control
characters. Maybe at somepoint Squeaks editor may get this functionality but
it is not really a pressing issue.

The <shift><insert> charcter bug should be reported by someone, if it has
not been already.

Aaron