[Bug][Fix] Setting copy/paste-key preference under Windows doesnot work

Aaron Gray angray at beeb.net
Mon Dec 6 23:58:24 UTC 2004

> I would like that the first impression new users get of squeak is that
> the cut/copy/paste/select_all keyboard shortcuts _work_ as expected.
>

> This means on a Mac
>
> clover key (http://www.jargon.net/jargonfile/f/featurekey.html)
>
> <clover key>  x    --> cut
> <clover key>  c    --> copy
> <clover key>  v    --> paste
> <clover key>  a    --> select all
>

> and on Windows
>
> <ctrl>  x    --> cut
> <ctrl>  c    --> copy
> <ctrl>  v    --> paste
> <ctrl>  a    --> select all

To requote Hannes

> I would like that the first impression new users get of squeak is that
> the cut/copy/paste/select_all keyboard shortcuts _work_ as expected.

This means :-

<ctrl><insert> --> copy
<shift><insert>  --> paste

This is what 95% of Windows users know and use.

I propose not necessarily now but sometime in the future that on the Windows
platform and only on the Windows platform that a preference option is made
avaiable that allows the standard Windows CnP keystrokes in duplicate to the
standard Squeak CnP keystrokes, whether or not that preference flag is
activated or not as default is another matter, but I think this option
should be there and probably as I say only on the Windows platform.

This is most probably what most Windows users expect, and kicking the
unknown character insertion bug" as I call it. Hint Hint, Can I or someone
file this as a bug report please !:)

Okay thats my 0.02cents worth,

Aaron