Startup Splash screen

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Dec 7 11:15:30 UTC 2004

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 07:21:20PM -0500, Milan Zimmermann wrote:

> > > Thats my point, but an average user is not necessarily going to
> > > understand the error message or click on ok and end up not being able to
> > > save any changes at a later point.
> >
> > Yup. Not a good thing to happen.
> >
> > > Either disallow two uses of the same image or provide a second changes
> > > file.
>
> Perhaps another option would be for the VM process to create a second small
> "lock file" whenever the changes file is open for write, and remove it when
> it's closed or the process exits. On startup, VM would check if the lock file
> exists, if it does, will not start. Of course there is the problem of crashes

Actually, file locking can be done directly if you want to (for example, if
you have loaded the OSProcess package, see UnixOSProcessAccessor>>lockFile:
and friends).

But stop for a moment and think about what it would mean for two independent
Squeak images to be writing to the same changes file. I'm actually not 100%
certain that it can't be made to work, but it sounds a bit shakey.

Dave