Startup Splash screen

Milan Zimmermann milan.zimmermann at sympatico.ca
Tue Dec 7 13:15:21 UTC 2004

On December 7, 2004 06:15 am, David T. Lewis wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 07:21:20PM -0500, Milan Zimmermann wrote:
> > On December 6, 2004 03:48 pm, Tim Rowledge wrote:
> > > "Aaron Gray" <angray at beeb.net> wrote:
<snip>

> Actually, file locking can be done directly if you want to (for example, if
> you have loaded the OSProcess package, see UnixOSProcessAccessor>>lockFile:
> and friends).
>
> But stop for a moment and think about what it would mean for two
> independent Squeak images to be writing to the same changes file.

David, I did not mean to suggest two Squeak VMs write into the same changes
file, but the opposite -

suggest a simple mechanism that would prevent a second Squeak process from
starting, when there is already another VM process running using the same
image+changes.

This was described in the second part that was sniped. I believe this is how
this thread started (someone running two VM processes on the same image). I
believe anything like that can only be done from the VM, to make sure the
second VM exits before the changes file is even read. In any case, I don't
know anything about how Squeak VM works so should leave this to experts.

Thanks Milan