[q]squeak is too slow?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Dec 8 06:55:30 UTC 2004

Tim -

> Is Smalltalk slower than C for array processing of big lists of
> homogeneous data? Yup. Is it too slow to do fascinating things? Take a
> look at Croquet and decide.

It always annoys me when people do this, e.g., confuse the language with the
system. That Croquet has been written using the Smalltalk language means
nothing whatsoever. It might as well have been written in JavaScript,
Python, Ruby  (or Logo for god's sake ;-) for all which we now have Parsers.
None of which would make much of a difference.

What we _have_ been doing and what does matter is that we have been using
Squeak as a system with all that implies - starting from being able to use
BitBlt for image processing, the mp3 plugin for sound and video up to being
able to run Morphic right inside a Croquet texture. We would NOT have been
able to do this with VisualWorks, Dolphin, GST or any other "Smalltalk"
implementation.

For all of this "Smalltalk" is totally meaningless - it just happens to have
been the programming language of choice for people who did the important
part: Make it accessible for us in Squeak. It is Squeak which matters, plain
and simple. We could have done without Smalltalk but we couldn't have done
without Squeak.

Cheers,
  - Andreas