Smalltalk class heirachy

John Pierce john.raymond.pierce at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 12:20:44 UTC 2004

>   I see your point, but just curious... What kind if "duplication" you
> are referring to?  Is it something you could "calculate" by evaluating
> one or two lines of Squeak code on the classes?

Some kinds of duplication I "see" by diagraming in UML or the like is
"which one of these is a lot like the other" duplication.  So I am not
sure a code analysis tool could do that for me yet (or at least it
seems hard to do) since you need someone to make the connection.

Without contriving examples, what I mean specifically is that
sometimes two or more classes should be refactored into a class
hierarchy.  On the surface they seem separate, but there is
implementation duplication between them.

It is not obvious because their selectors are not the same (variations
in word choice) or their keyword selectors have the keywords in
different order.

Sometimes seeing two or three classes side by side (in a diagram) with
their interfaces displayed and you can quickly see there is obvious
duplication and they want to share a common superclass..  That's what
I am talking about mostly and how I see diagraming. as super useful.

Regards,

John