[swiki-bugs] Fwd: Squeak Wiki - hacked big time!! & continuingto be hacked

Frank Shearar Frank.Shearar at rnid.org.uk
Wed Dec 8 17:30:04 UTC 2004

Darius <squeakuser at inglang.com> wrote:

> I thought it would continue to be hacked.
>
> Could someone leverage Diego's video manipulation classes &
> Morphic's ability to
> convert text to gif to hack together an "enter the text you
> see in the graphic"
> security feature? The hardest part would be selecting a range
> of words.
>
> Any human could edit a page at any time.

Except for (at the least):
* people who can't see (or see well);
* people who want (or have to) use text-based browsers.

I think that we (I mean whoever maintains the swiki - the admin of the machine) should report this abuse to the relevant ISP, and should, as a temporary measure, ban that IP (at the HTTP level, IP level, it matters not).

MediaWikis have user-maintained blacklists, where you (i.e., users with certain permissions) can ban IPs for periods of time. That might be a nice balance between the (essential!) openness of a wiki and having our wikis abused by bots.

frank

whom they are addressed. Any views or opinions expressed
are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent
RNID policy.
If you are not the intended recipient you are advised that any
use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this
email is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this email in error please notify the RNID
Helpdesk by telephone on: +44 (0) 207 296 8282.
The Royal National Institute for Deaf People
Registered Office 19*23 Featherstone Street
London EC1Y 8SL No. 454169 (England)
Registered Charity No. 207720