[q]squeak is too slow?

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Thu Dec 9 00:35:37 UTC 2004

  Hello,

> [1  <text/plain; ks_c_5601-1987 (7bit)>]
> I attach the file which represent Voronoi Game class.
> The part which cuase problem is in 'nextLocal'.
> In 'nextLocal', 900 loop occur.
> For each loop, another 900 loop occur for computing minimum(using 'score'
> message).
> It is difficult to explain what Voronoi game is here. So I omit this.
> But as you see code, you can notice what problem is.

  Here is my suggestion:

  First, don't use Array2D.  As I wrote, think about utilizing the
FloatArray in the vanilla image.

  Second, check better algorithms to compute the Voronoi diagram.  The
materials found at http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/sjf/ may be helpful.

  Third, learn how to use the profiler.  That will help you to know
where the time goes.

  It would be neat if we have playable Voronoi Game!

-- Yoshiki