Browser feature suggestion

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Thu Dec 9 04:56:42 UTC 2004

On Dec 8, 2004, at 7:57 PM, Aaron Gray wrote:
> It would be nice if Squeaks browsers had backwards and forwards buttons
> like on most internet browsers.

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 20:26:58 -0500, Colin Putney <cputney at wiresong.ca>
[basically agreed]

"Yar Hwee Boon" <hboon at motionobj.com>
[said that Dolphin has something similar]

There are two questions:
 (a) Would such a feature be a good idea?
     Probably not; I *hate* having to go clickety clickety through every
     page I've looked at in the last couple of hours just to get to one
     particular one.  A rather simpler thing would be to keep a list of
     (Classname[ class][>>method]) places visited, and on request put up
     a list where you could click directly on the one you want.

 (b) What do we do NOW?

    And this is where Squeak has for a long time had something I find better
    that << >> buttons.

    You are NOT restricted to having a single browser open.  You may have
    as many browsers open as you want.  When you navigate away from a place
    you want to come back to, DON'T do it in the old browser, start a new
    one.  With the mouse in the method pane (the rightmost pane on the top)
    type Cmd-b and you have another browser at the same place.  (In Morphic,
    you could do a Cmd-click and then click on the duplicate halo handle,
    the top right handle in the halo.  But Cmd-b in the method pane is
    quicker and works in MVC projects as well.)

    In my view this is _better_ because instead of clickety-clicketying
    backwards and forwards, you can have _several_ browsers open on different
    places at the same time.

    You can have rather more browsers open at once than you might have
    realised, because they can be collapsed to just their title bars.
    20 browsers is not (quite) unamanageable.