Browser feature suggestion

Hernan Tylim htylim at yahoo.com.ar
Thu Dec 9 12:11:20 UTC 2004

Colin Putney wrote:

[...]

> I'd love to hear about other variations on this theme, as I think
> implementing several variations and trying them out is the only way to
> really get a feel for their effect. On the other hand, I don't want to
> get into flame wars over this; OB 1.1 is months away, and there will
> be plenty of time to argue the merits of different approaches when we
> have implementations to experiment with.

[...]

While we are getting wild thinking on new alternatives I think I will
propose something I always wanted even if it is not entirely related to
the back and forward buttons (Which I might add I like and I think they
are a required *complement* to what we have today)

In the topic of having many browser windows open and trying to reduce
the clutter they produce I like very much the Whisker approach. That is,
being able to have only  the code panel without the other columns.  That
is because they are completely redundant. We want the column panes only
for browsing, not editing. And afterall we spent more time coding than
browsing, or not?

My propose is to be able to have browsers windows without the column
panes to code and when we would like to browse we could invoke them
apart. Ideally with a keybinding, but of course, from a button on a
toolbar too.

The net gain should be a much better use of a very limited space which
is our displays.

Note: that when I say that I want only the code pane I am not saying
that we should have the PluggableTextMorph and nothing more. Of course
we wouldn't have that. We would have the PluggableTextMorph, plus a
toolbar plus something that would indicate us at a glance where we are
and what we are editing.

P.D:  Colin, I sent you the other day offlist, an email about some
changes I did to OmniBrowser. I wanted to tell you because I don't know
if some spam filter or something caught it first.

Regards,
Hernán