Squeak Accessibility for the blind

Thomas A Petersen tpeterse at csc.com
Thu Dec 9 16:30:03 UTC 2004

Greetings fellow Squeakers,

I am legally blind.  I see about five percent of "normal".  I use speach
software to read large volumes of text on the computer screen.

I use Squeak effectively by changing the colors and using the excellent
font support to support glyphs I can read.  For the less cooperative
windows there is always the screen reader.

Strangely enough, I've been using Squeak primarily for design graphics and
to design a photo catalog that cares less about what OS it's running on.
Jacaranda, connecters, and the graphics system are extremely useful.

As for having to use stegnographic techniques (obvescated letters in a
bitmap) to ensure that evil little minds don't ruin our space, I'm all for
it.  I have ways of dealing with bitmaps, in and out of Squeak.

I agree that there are accessibility issues in Squeak.  However, the true
thinker will see them as opportunities to improve the universe.

squeak is seriously cool!
Thanks much to you all,
tap