Browser feature suggestion

Chris Muller afunkyobject at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 9 19:11:06 UTC 2004

> The problem is too many open windows

Try loading "Browser Reduction" off of SqueakMap.  I actually would like this
enhancement to be part of standard Squeak.  I've been running with it for years
and almost never use the Window menu anymore.

The way it works is, it searches for *suitable* browsers that are already open
and brings it to the top rather than opening a duplicate.  It is smart enough
if, for example, you are in the middle of an edit in a hierarchy browser, to
consider that NOT suitable (because you wouldn't be able to navigate without
getting the "Do you want to lose your changes?" prompt.

Combined with the Tracing Messages Browser (a separate package on SqueakMap,
also used for years) my window proliferation is dramatically reduced.  And
there's no real need (for me) to manually maintain my "favorite places" via
bookmarks, StarBrowser, etc. because I can always get TO whereever I want FROM
wherever I happen to be by simple keyword.

===

> in the starbrowser (in VW) I did not try it in Squeak. You drag and
> drop a certain information (object, method, packages...into the pane.

This is extra work.  I think a system should provide search and navigation
functions that operate on the *current state* of the system to take me where I
want to go, quickly and easily, FROM anywhere I might be, without having to
manually maintain "bookmark locations".

I think I must have completely missed the point of StarBrowser..