Squeak Accessibility for the blind

Hannes Hirzel hirzel at spw.unizh.ch
Thu Dec 9 23:19:12 UTC 2004

Thomas A Petersen wrote:

> I have used the speaker class as a debugging aid to tell me when I’ve
> passed though certain methods.

Cool idea. And an argument that Squeak might be adapted for blind users.
Though this would mean a considerable effort.

The first thing would probably be to create 'AudioBrowsers', i.e.
Browsers which use the SystemNavigation but instead of tell the user
where the focus is and which other options he might choose.

> A better sounding speaker class.  I’m not well versed in the speech model
> Squeak is using and just need to find the time to dig into it.

The Klatt synthesizer as such is actually quite good. Perhaps it is a
question of adapting the parameters.

> A more robust web browser and mail client.  By this I mean, better support
> for the more complex web pages.

For a blind user the web browser has to be adapted anyhow. The basic
functions are there in Celeste

Hannes