Web Site Trashed (Again)

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Fri Dec 10 01:20:10 UTC 2004

John Pierce <john.raymond.pierce at gmail.com> wrote:
	For instance, as part of the submit process you make your edits to the
	swiki, type the letters you see in the image below in the text box

	@@@   @   @   @   @@@
	@    @  @@@   @   @   @
	@@@   @   @   @   @@@

The problem with this is that while I can guess that the first letter is
"C" and that the last two are "I" and "D", I have no idea what the stuff
in the middle is.  My eyesight is up to the task of seeing every single
"@" sign, but if this were real, you'd have just locked me out for no good
reason.

A far more reasonable challenge-response hack for a Squeak wiki would be
to name a method and a line number and ask someone to type the words they
see in that line.  Or here's another one:  include some kind of text
scrambler in Squeak.  Present a random sequence of letters and ask for
the scrambled version.  In either of these approaches, you would have to
have and be running a copy of Squeak.  You might be an evil spammer, but
you would _also_ be a Squeak user, and would probably know about anything
discussed in this list.  I think it's fair to require that people who edit
the swiki be Squeak users.